2.7.13

Giant Monster Meets Disney's Famous Fawn: Bambi Meet Godzilla (1969)

I stumbled across a wonderful little short when researching my Monster Movie a Day.  Looking through a box of monster movies I picked up at a flea market a couple years ago, I found a VHS I didn't know I had.  This strange box is both surreal and magnificent, and quite frankly, bought without me even knowing it was among the lot I purchased.  

Bambi Meets Godzilla & Other Weird Cartoons is a treasure of obscure, bizarre animation that I feel ashamed of never watching.  The tape is 30 minutes of rare, vintage animation mostly from the animation pioneer Max Fleischer. Aside from the title-piece, which I will get to soon, the rest of the VHS is just as good. In Betty Boop in Crazy Town, an insane wonderland of absurdity knocks Bizarro World down a peg. "You Auto Lay an Egg" is  a short showing a bird eat auto parts as it eventually lays an egg.  In "Cobweb Hotel," a spider invites houseflies in for dinner.  Any fan of animation deserves this VHS (not available on DVD) among his or her collection.

Ok, now to the bizarre title-piece, Bambi Meets Godzilla.  The short itself is roughly a minute and a half and features simple, hand-drawn animation of a cute, Disney-eqsue deer eating grass.  The one joke, hilarious short is drawn by a young man named Marv Winston – entirely drawn from his bedroom in 1969. 




Bambi meets Godzilla - Marv Newland (1969) from O.C. on Vimeo.




Not surprisingly, this short was included on several VHS releases of Return of Godzilla.  Bambi Meets Godzilla was ranked number #34 in the book The 50 Greatest Cartoons: As Selected by 1,000 Animation Professionalsa 1994 book by animation historian Jerry Beck. 

Feel free to comment below.  I would love to read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment